Hartford International University for Religion and Peace (HIU) seeks a highly organized, personable, and motivated professional who is committed to the mission of the University. The full-time Maintenance Supervisor assists with all aspects of the maintenance, beautification, and the security of Hartford International University’s active campus of (currently) 14 buildings and approximately 10 acres.
The Maintenance Supervisor oversees and works with the Facilities Maintainer and hourly custodial/maintenance help. Assesses facilities issues and recommends solutions. Works closely with the Director of Facilities to maintain the day-to day operations of facilities and the infrastructure.
- Coordinates with new and regular contractors during projects.
- Assists Director in performing final review/walkthrough and recommends payment for approval.
- Manages campus keys.
- Oversees the maintenance of all campus buildings and properties, including general maintenance, repairs, cleaning, and grounds work, in conjunction with custodial staff and outside contractors.
- Manages campus cleaning contract and services.
- Prioritizes and triages projects based on the facilities ticket request system.
- Manages a preventative maintenance program, including, but not limited to: fixing doors, changing filters and light bulbs, cleaning gutters, patching, painting, minor electrical/plumbing projects, and repairs.
- Makes adjustments and minor repairs/replacements to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing and electrical systems. Maintains building components to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Repairs equipment as needed or request additional support for equipment servicing; maintains repair log on all machines.
- Manages the preparation of facilities for classes/reservations/events/programs requests when necessary and ensure tables/chairs are clean.
- Engages in deliveries or pick-ups by car as needed.
- Responds to after-hours emergency facilities calls and performs emergency repairs or cleaning services as needed.
- Removes snow and ice (when needed) from sidewalks and driveways and spreads snow melting chemicals, coordinates with the University’s snow removal contractors and the Facilities Maintainer.
- Creates a warm, welcoming environment for all students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- When on “subject-to-call” must be able to get to campus within 15 minutes to respond to on-call emergencies.
As is expected of all employees, provides backup support for University’s major events/general activities, as needed. Contributes positively to employee morale; maintains a positive, pleasant demeanor to all constituencies.
Experience: 4-5 years’ experience working in trade or related field
Licensure: Driver’s license – clean driving record
Trade certification a plus
Willing to work a flexible schedule and be on call. Proficiency with repair tools and techniques and have own transportation, preferably a truck. An understanding of, background in, and/or skills related to carpentry, electrical, plumbing, or HVAC. Ability to read, understand, and follow basic operating instructions. Ability to handle emergency situations in a calm manner. Dependability and trustworthiness.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Stellar time management, organization, and prioritization abilities.
- Ability to push/pull/lift up to 75 pounds
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, crawl, stoop, reach or walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to drive to make deliveries
- Must be comfortable working alone or with group/team
- Must be comfortable on ladder, roof, or at heights high above ground
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, chemicals, moving mechanical parts, vibration exposure to weather conditions
- Exposure to loud noises, specifically around machinery
Hartford International University for Religion and Peace is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. A resume, cover letter, and three professional references are required. Only candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.